Volunteers And Art Materials Needed
for Upcoming Project in Chiang Mai between March & April 2012
ArtSpeak.org is planning a series of creative activities for Kids Home Foundation (Chiang Mai) during the Thai schools’ 1-month summer holidays (tentatively bewteen 22 Mar – 22 Apr, exact dates to be confirmed). This is for their Smile Holidays Project to keep approximately 30 migrant children gainfully occupied during their school holidays. What better way than to have fun with art?
Details about exact dates/times/place (probably school premises at Wat Jed Yod, Superhighway, not far from Nimmanhaemin Road/Huay Kaew Road). Details are being worked out but I would like to first share some thoughts on what the project may need and how you can contribute:
a. Activities once or twice a week during that period (between 9 – 5pm)
– painting on cards/small canvases/glass bottles (portable, simple, not too time-consuming for children with short attention spans);
– origami crane making (there is now one volunteer, more are welcome);
– making clay figures
– t-shirt painting
– making costume jewellery or other ‘simple’ handicraft
– may also have a magic show by a friend at some point.
We don’t have to do all activities at once in a day; we can rotate them within the month within the day. Each activity can be in blocks of 1 – 2 hours (more or less) throughout the day. Flexible hours/time: to be worked out with volunteers.
b. What we need
– Volunteers for the activities above or anyone with some creative ability to teach drawing/painting/sculpting/origami and so on (suggestions are welcome!) AND/OR anyone with time on their hands and want to work (and play) with children for a while. You don’t have to be an artist to help; just need people with a little free time, commitment, passion and the will to help underprivileged children have some creative fun.
– Art materials such as
fabric paint, clay, acrylic paint, watercolours, colourful paper, small canvases or hard matte cards/paper (eg. 15cm x 10cm or slightly bigger), drawing paper, jam/coffee/glass bottles that can be recycled as vases/colourful coin containers etc (anything imaginative!), paint brushes (various sizes), plain t-shirts, colour pencils etc (they don’t have to be new; just in good condition and useable).
If you can help in any way, please contact me here. Do check our FB page for updates too. A BIG THANK YOU!!